11.27.2011

Damn Roman Blinds

I have found true joy in making things for other people. If you value our friendship, you will never (and I mean in a million years) ask me to make roman shades for your house.

Our office has been completed for a year or so now, but lacked some window treatments. Being on the computer between the hours of 10am to 3pm was a battle with the sun. Glare on a computer screen is an instant headache for me.

Not wanting floor length drapes, I priced out some roman shades and cringed at the over $300 price tag. I love all the windows in our house, but I don't think there is a single standard size throughout. I decided that making them myself would be an easy money saving idea.

I hated every single minute of it.

There are only two good things about this project.
1. Cost - $75
2. They are done

Here's the before.



And the after.





Ignore the need for ironing. I'll get to it eventually. I was too eager to get them up and admire my handiwork.

In retrospect, $300 is pocket change compared to the frustrations. Don't be discouraged by my negativity though. I've heard that there are easy versions out there. Personally, I won't be googling 'roman blind tutorial' for a llloooooonng time.

WARNING: The rest of this post is a complete jab at my mother.

In my childhood home we had a beautiful sun room. Notice anything wrong with this picture?


That's right. She needed to complete 10 roman blinds and fell one short. My dad, brother and I used to tease her relentlessly about this.

Mom, this is my sincere apology and I honor you for mastering 9 of them.

1 comment: